Friday, March 30, 2018, 11:00 PM
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Women & Their Work seeks artists who create inventive, high-caliber contemporary art that breaks new ground or proposes innovative approaches to form and content.
Women-identifying artists residing in Texas who have not had a solo exhibition at Women & Their Work within the past ten years are eligible. Recently created work in all media will be considered.
Women & Their Work's Call for 2019 - 2020 Exhibitions is hosted at CallForEntries.org
- March 30, 2018: Deadline for all applications online.
- May 15, 2018: Notification to all applicants.
- March 2019 – December 2020: Exhibitions will be scheduled for six-week periods between these dates.
Women artists currently residing in Texas who have not had a solo exhibition at Women & Their Work within the past ten years are eligible. Please provide a current Texas address on your application.
We strive for a diversity of experiences and perspectives. Women of color and all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We use an inclusive definition of “woman” and we welcome any artists who identify as women in a way that is significant to them.
We do not accept applications from undergraduate students or Masters degree candidates, unless you will have graduated before March 2019.
Women & Their Work seeks artists who create inventive, high-caliber contemporary art that breaks new ground or proposes innovative approaches to form and content. Selections are based on an evaluation of the work you submit; we look for a strong, consistent aesthetic vision. Recently created work in all media will be considered. We strongly encourage selected artists to create new work for their exhibition at Women & Their Work; no work that has previously been exhibited in Austin will be accepted for exhibition. The work in the application should demonstrate that you are capable in vision and scope of creating a powerful solo exhibition that an approximately 1,700 square foot gallery space.
We will choose artists for 6-week solo exhibitions occurring between March 2019 and December 2020.
- Up to 10 Images of 2-D and/or 3-D work, including up to four videos if applicaple. We will only be able to view three minutes of each video, so please queue accordingly. Please select your images/videos with great care as they are the basis of the selection process and are extremely important.
- Artist Statement - Include a one-page statement describing your work, your aesthetic vision, and your plans for a future solo exhibition here.
- Résumé - Upload a current resume. Do not include announcements, catalogs, reviews, or letters; they will not be reviewed.
- Application Fee - A $30 processing fee is required. This fee helps us offset CaFE platform costs.
The gallery is approximately 1,700 square feet with 10.5 feet high ceilings, track lighting and seven moveable walls. In the event of a location change, we will communicate updated gallery dimensions to artists with sufficient notice. Projectors, media players, and sound equipment are available.
The 2019 - 2020 Solo Exhibition Series jury panel will be comprised of arts professionals from other cities, artists who have had a solo show here in the past, and gallery staff. Every applicant is carefully reviewed, considered and discussed.
You will be notified by email of your application. Please do not seek information on the status of your application prior to the deadline. If you have questions about how to apply online, please ask them anytime via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 512-477-1064.
- Women & Their Work will award an honorarium of $1500 to the artists who are selected for our 2019 - 2020 Solo Exhibition Series. Our gallery staff will work with you to help you achieve all aspects of your vision.
- Curatorial Advisor – We provide a modest honorarium for a Curatorial Advisor. This may be someone who meets with you as your work develops, offers guidance on installation of the work, or offers assistance.
- Catalog - We will publish a catalog for your exhibition featuring a commissioned essay and images of your work.
- Video – We produce a six-minute video of you discussing your work, which is featured as a supplemental material in the gallery and on our website.
- Public Program (optional) – With your guidance, we will organize a public program to take place during the run of your exhibition. This could be a panel conversation, performance, workshop, etc.
You will receive 75% of the sale price of any work sold during your exhibition.
LIABILITY & AGREEMENT
Women & Their Work agrees to insure artwork while in its custody. Artists are responsible for transportation of artwork to and from Women & Their Work gallery. Artists agree to exhibit work that has not previously been shown in Austin.
Please upload your application by March 30, 2018. We appreciate this opportunity to view your work. We encourage you to begin your application early. We are happy to clarify the guidelines, encourage you, offer you free wifi, or direct you to CaFE tech support. We’re here to assist you weekdays 10-6pm. We look forward to seeing your work!
FORMAT & FILE SPECIFICS
Read about how to size you jpegs and other upload details here: https://www.callforentry.org/image_prep.phtml
Women & Their Work is a non-profit visual and performing art organization located in Central Austin that serves as a catalyst for contemporary art created by women living and working in Texas and beyond. For 40 years, Women & Their Work has brought groundbreaking art to Austin, with exhibitions, performances, and educational workshops.
Known for our pioneering spirit, embrace of artistic innovation, and commitment to Texas audiences and artists, our goal is to enrich the cultural experience for Texas by:
- Emphasizing the value and excellence of art by women
- Educating audiences of all ages about contemporary art
- Equipping artists with financial and technical support
- Engaging the community through diverse exhibitions, performances and other programs